Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I qualified as an Occupational Therapist in 1993 from the University of Cape Town, South Africa. I have held a variety of positions but essentially since 1994 I have specialised in the field of work assessment, ergonomics, rehabilitation and rehabilitation case management in South Africa, the USA and the UK.
Since 2003, I have worked as a Consultant Occupational Therapist in independent practice in the UK, where I provide a variety of rehabilitation, vocational and ergonomic services to industry. Since 2010 my area of practice has also centred on assessment, rehabilitation and case management for clients following complex injuries.
- Experience as an inpatient and outpatient therapist developing goal centred rehabilitation for a wide range of conditions, including neurological, upper limb and hand injuries, rheumatological and other orthopaedic conditions/injuries.
- Experienced in developing, implementing and co-ordinating treatment and goal orientated return to work programmes within a variety of settings.
- Experience in liaising with case managers, employers, solicitors and other medical practitioners as part of the case management, rehabilitation and return to work process.
- Experienced case manager and rehabilitation consultant within the insurance and litigation framework, with a focus of returning a client to work.
- Specific experience in the rehabilitation of complex orthopaedic injuries, particularly those of the upper and lower limbs.
- Management of complex or chronic pain as well as associated mental health issues (such as PTSD and depression) .
- Experience as a Disability Claims Consultant and Assistant claims manager within the insurance industry.
- Experienced ergonomic assessor providing ergonomic solutions to industry in order to prevent injury and re-injury.
- Experienced in conducting workplace evaluations and job demands analysis in order to provide return to work solutions to enable an employee to return to or remain at work. Solutions include advice on reasonable adjustments, equipment needs and redeployment options.
- Certified Functional Capacity Evaluator in both the Matheson and Key Functional Capacity Evaluation Systems.
- Matheson Advanced Functional Capacity Trained
- I have worked as an Expert Witness in the assessment of functional ability and work capacity of Claimants within the medico-legal framework.
- In 2013 I was part of a panel that reviewed the DWP Work Capability Assessment.
- I participate in peer reviews with my colleagues in Independence Works.
- I undertake clinical supervision to members of our group and I have ongoing clinical supervision from a member of our group.
- I was a director of Independence Works from 2013-2015.
April 2003 - present
Consultant Occupational Therapist, Private Practice
I provide a variety of rehabilitation, vocational, ergonomic and case management services to industry. The services are aimed at returning and maintaining injured/ill/disabled workers in the work place, preventing injury and maximising function.
January 2001 - April 2003
Senior Occupational Therapist, Royal Mail /Consignia Employee Health Service
October 2000 - January 2001 (Locum Position)
Senior Occupational Therapist, Swindon Social Services
July 2000 - September 2000 (Locum Position)
Senior Occupational Therapist, Radcliffe Infirmary Hospital, Oxford
April 2000 - June 2000 (Locum Position)
Senior Occupational Therapist, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
February 1998 - March 2000
Assistant Manager & Senior Occupational Therapist, Alexander Forbes Health Management Solutions Johannesburg SA
May 1997 - August 1997 (Locum Position)
Occupational Therapist, Charing Cross Hospital, London
January 1997 - May 1997 (Locum Position)
Senior Occupational Therapist, Bolingbroke Hospital , St George's NHS Trust, London
October 1996 - January 1997 (Locum Position)
Occupational Therapist, Kensington & Chelsea Social Services, London
June 1996 - November 1996
Occupational Therapist, Anglo American, Earnest Oppenheimer Hospital Welkom, South Africa. A predominantly mining hospital.
February 1996 - May 1996 (Locum Position)
Occupational Therapist, Columbia Blake Medical Centre, Florida, USA.
March 1994 - March 1995
Occupational Therapist, Health South Treasure Coast Rehabilitation Hospital, Florida, USA.
BSc Occupational Therapy (Cape Town)
Registrations and memberships:
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Registered with the National Board for certification of Occupational Therapists (USA)