Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I am an independent occupational therapist (OT) and case manager with over eighteen years’ experience specializing in vocational rehabilitation, community rehabilitation and multidisciplinary service provision for adults. I provide services to insurers, solicitors, employers and private individuals who require occupational therapy intervention. These services include an initial needs assessment, goal orientated rehabilitation, home and work place evaluations and adaptations. My work to date involves liaison with all key stakeholders including medical professionals, voluntary and adult social care services, solicitors, insurers, treating practitioners, carers and employers.
- Independent practice with insurers, solicitors, employers and private clients.
- Work within the NHS and statutory services in a broad spectrum of clinical areas in London and Cornwall.
- Practical understanding of the recovery and rehabilitation process from acute settings to community living.
- Over fifteen years’ experience of hands on assessment and treatment working with clients with varied medical, physical and psychological diagnosis, assisting clients with complex problems to reach their rehabilitation and treatment potential.
- Client conditions have included neurological conditions such as mild brain injury and post-concussion syndrome, stroke, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and Guillain Barre syndrome. I have also worked with a variety of orthopaedic conditions including upper and lower limb, spinal cord injury and brachial plexus lesion, amputees, provided hand therapy for rheumatoid patients and carried out pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation programmes.
- Interventions have included managing physical and psychological rehabilitation, delivery of post- concussion syndrome OT rehab programmes, assessment and advise on adaptations both at home and in the workplace, equipment recommendation and provision, the development and delivery of multi-disciplinary group interventions such as pulmonary and cardiac rehabilitation and monitoring graded return to work programmes.
- Worked closely with consultants, general medical practitioners, health and social care professionals (nursing/physiotherapy/speech and language therapist/dieticians/podiatrists), social workers, case co-ordinators, psychologists, and the voluntary sector.
- Training provision for health, adult social care employees and private home care on rehabilitation and goal setting, appropriate moving and handling of patients in the community, safe use of equipment and provision and managing risk.
- Management of own independent practice.
- Therapy team leader for the Early Intervention Service.
- Team leader of a multi-disciplinary older adult specialist day hospital – 13 staff members, band 7.
- New service development and implementation.
- Team building, clinical supervision, appraisal, case allocation and supervisor to OT students.
- In service training and staff development including regular supervision.
- Training and role promotion to multi-disciplinary team members and other professionals.
October 2012 – present
Occupational Therapist and Case Manager (Independent practice)
Four years working as an independent occupational therapist and case manager. Services provided to insurers, solicitors and employers as well occupational health support, ergonomic work station assessments and vocational rehab services. Involvement includes assessment, recommendation and treatment for clients with physical/psychological disability or injury to maintain independence at home and maximise return to work.
August 2009 – September 2013
Early Intervention Service
Peninsula Community Health and Adult Social Care, Team Leader, Band 7 OT
Part of the multi-disciplinary crisis management team providing generic holistic assessment and specific occupational therapy intervention for adults to prevent admission and support hospital discharges. Dynamic fast pace of work using problem solving skills, high levels of communication and negotiation and respecting individuals right for choice and control over their care. Case managing packages of care and rehabilitation programmes on behalf of the team, liaising across health, adult social care and the voluntary sector. Daily management for a large team of cross agency workers and specific supervision and appraisal for therapy staff.
June 2005 – July 2009
Wandsworth Teaching Primary Care Trust (PCT), Multidisciplinary Team Leader on the Brysson Whyte Rehabilitation Unit (BWRU)
Service development for the older adult service within a PCT, specialising in the delivery of services on a rehabilitation unit including Parkinson’s disease management, pulmonary rehabilitation and management of fallers. Responsibility for the day to day running of the unit managing a multi-disciplinary team including; physiotherapists, OTs, speech and language therapists, support workers, administration, senior house officers, nurses and psychologists. The role involved presenting to stake holders and local steering groups and the regular completion of audits to ensure a high quality of patient care was paramount.
December 2003 – December 2005
Wandsworth PCT – Brysson Whyte Rehabilitation Unit (BWRU), Senior 1 OT
Lead occupational therapist for care of the elderly services at Queen Mary’s Hospital. Clinical caseload covering a wide range of conditions and multifactorial presentations. Supervision of qualified OT’s and support staff. Assisted in the development of the occupational therapy competency frameworks and professional standards within the PCT.
April 2001 – December 2003
Sutton and Merton Primary Care Trust (PCT), Senior 1 Occupational Therapist (OT) Neurology and General Rehabilitation
Senior OT role providing assessment and treatment of clients with a neurological diagnosis, identifying the need for equipment provision, rehabilitation, multidisciplinary input and on-going referrals to achieve patient goals. Vocational rehabilitation goals and work place assessments were established to support individuals in maintaining independence and productivity.
September 1999 – April 2001
Guys and St Thomas’ NHS Trust – Occupational Therapist
Basic grade rotational post – 6 months general medicine and neurology, 6 months general surgery and amputee and elderly care rotation.
October 1995 – August 1998
Part time voluntary worker in a residential home for young adults with learning disabilities, mental health support worker in work rehabilitation in a printing and wood work factory and support worker for children with special needs at an activity centre.
October 1989 – September 1995
I worked in a number of establishments including; restaurants, directors’ lunches in the city, shooting and fishing estates, ski resorts, consultant chef and teacher and assistant manager in a hotel in India. These positions involved a high professional standard and I developed skills in diplomacy, adaption, problem solving, flexibility, creativity and humility.
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy 1999, (Oxford Brookes University)
Continuing professional development, including:
- Expert Report Writing, Bond Solon 2018
- Tech Conference, London 2017
- Mild Traumatic Brain Injury by Cognition Health, 2017
- Functional Capacity Training with Obair, November 2015
- Understanding the Workplace, Employment and Equality Law for Vocational Rehabilitation Specialists, June 2014
- Chronic Pain and Treatment, Bath Royal Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases 2013
- Assessment of the Person in Vocational Rehabilitation September 2013
- Assessment of the Workplace in Vocational Rehabilitation October 2013
- Attend COTSS-IP south west updates and conferences including CMSUK and the OT Show
- Regular peer support with case managers in Cornwall
Registrations and memberships:
- Health Professionals Council (HCPC)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice (COTSS-IP)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work (COTSS-W)
- Case Management Society UK (CMSUK)