BSc (Hons) OT
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
Highly experienced occupational therapist and case manager specialising in rehabilitation following complex trauma; including amputee rehab, multiple trauma, peripheral nerve injury, mild traumatic brain injury.
My approach has a strong focus on restoration of function within the client’s home, work and wider community. I am experienced in providing vocational rehabilitation and return to work planning, working collaboratively with clients and employers to facilitate positive outcomes. I am skilled in addressing both the physical barriers to occupation as well as the psychological impact of trauma and injury on my clients’ well- being. In addition to my case management work I maintain my clinical expertise in hand injury rehabilitation with a small, weekly clinic.
- Comprehensive assessment of the client, their environment, family and carers’ needs; preparation of rehabilitation reports, initial needs assessment reports and functional OT assessment reports
- Designing and implementing complex rehabilitation packages addressing the needs of the client, their family and their carers
- Provision of occupational therapy focused functional rehabilitation programmes utilising a graded approach in all aspects of the client’s functional needs
- Experienced in bringing together teams of treating health and rehabilitation professionals, coordinating their involvement to ensure the best possible outcomes for the client including medical specialists, psychological and therapeutic practitioners, personal trainers, gym and swim instructors
- Co-working with both NHS and private orthotic/prosthetic services and seating/wheelchair assessments for amputees, brachial plexus injuries and complex trauma clients, utilising current and up to date knowledge of products to inform the rehabilitation process
- Implementation and provision of adaptations from simple ADL equipment to major home modification projects for upper and lower limb amputees involving architects, surveyors, specialist home adaptation OTs
- Facilitation of physical adaptations of the work environment to meet access needs and health and safety requirements including adaptations to work places for lower limb amputees and conducting risk assessments
- Recruitment and supervision of carers and reablement support workers
- Vocational assessment in a wide variety of settings including office, agricultural and factory environments with both upper and lower limb amputees, clients following brain injury, brachial plexus injury and complex orthopaedic trauma, utilising technology and modifications to the workplace to facilitate independence
- Utilising resources to facilitate return to leisure activities including adapted devices for single handed cycling, fishing and swimming/diving for amputees
- Pain management intervention including activity modification, pacing, energy conservation
- Highly skilled hand and upper limb therapist, working in a part time Extended Scope Practitioner role with hand surgeon colleagues both in the NHS and private practice. Clinical skills include wound care, splinting and exercise prescription
- Strong communicator across all professional groups and with clients, their employers and their families to facilitate the rehabilitation process
- Supervision, education and training including appraisal and management of performance of peers, own associates and clinical hand therapy staff
- Development of clinical and managerial policies, protocols and procedures
- Management of waiting lists, referrals, own and others’ caseloads
- Promotion of OT case manager role and services to current and potential referrers through audit, maintenance of activity data and the use of outcome measures
- Design and implementation of induction and training programmes
- Design, implementation and regular revision of clinical competency frameworks
- Provision of training for colleagues within the organisation and externally
2011 - present
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager, Independence Works and Handworks Rehab Ltd – 4 days per week
Provision of occupational therapy assessment, rehabilitation and case management for clients following trauma, with a focus on facilitating clients’ return to their normal daily activities, vocational activities and leisure pursuits. Within this role I have worked extensively with clients with brachial plexus injury, upper and lower limb amputees and mild traumatic brain injury.
2013 - present
Consultant Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist – 1⁄2 day per week
Provision of independent/contract based hand therapy services covering the East Surrey and West Kent areas, including contract work as extended scope practitioner for statutory services and own small private practice.
February 2013 - January 2014
Guy’s and St Tomas’s Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Band 7 Hand Therapist
Bank Hand Therapist providing part time clinical hand therapy for an acute Plastics caseload at this busy Central London hospital. Utilising highly specialist hand therapy skills including splinting, wound care and application of advanced clinical reasoning for complex cases.
2008 - 2011
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Clinical Lead Occupational Therapist, Hand and Upper Limb Therapy
Leadership and clinical specialist role managing a specialist hand therapy team within a busy acute hospital service. Caseload of mainly orthopaedic and rheumatological conditions. Key responsibility for developing hand and upper limb therapy service within the trust, working closely with surgeons and service managers. Development of extended scope practitioner role in musculoskeletal triage.
2007 - 2008
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Specialist Occupational Therapist, Hands and Plastics
Clinical role within a large, busy plastics and trauma service covering the south east. Provision of generic hand therapy following trauma and reconstructive hand surgery. Supervision and training of junior occupational therapists and students. Assessment for and provision of pressure garments.
2006 – 2007
The London Hand and Wrist Unit, Senior I Hand Therapist
Generic hand therapy role within a private healthcare setting. Primarily working independently with patients with both trauma to and conditions affecting the hand and upper limb, working closely with a mix of orthopaedic and plastic surgeons in different clinics around London.
New Plymouth, New Zealand, Occupational Therapist
Hand Therapy Team. Short term contract, managing caseload of patients with a wide variety of traumatic injuries and conditions affecting the hand, including patients on return to work programmes, liaising with and providing reports for case managers.
Locum work in physical rehabilitation including neurology, orthopaedics and medicine (East Surrey Hospital) and hand therapy (University College London Hospital). This included carrying out functional assessments, home visits and all necessary intervention to assist with discharge.
2003 - 2005
Peterborough Hospitals NHS Trust, Senior I Occupational Therapist
Hand Therapy Unit. Specialised provision of occupational therapy for clients with conditions affecting the hand – orthopaedic and plastic surgery and rheumatology, for adults and children from varying backgrounds and cultures.
December 2002 - March 2003
Peterborough Hospitals NHS Trust, Locum Senior I Occupational Therapist
Rapid assessment and discharge team rehabilitation for medical patients - renal, cardiac, respiratory and oncology with general medicine, including some accident and emergency cover. This included competent and speedy triage and assessment of patients, provision of equipment and arrangement of home modifications.
1999 – 2002
Rotational Posts – Camden and Islington NHS Community Trust, Whittington Hospital NHS Trust
Amputee rehabilitation, stroke rehabilitation, mental health, orthopaedics (trauma and elective), hand therapy, rheumatology. This provided a good grounding in a range of disciplines carrying out assessments, arranging treatment programmes, supporting hospital discharge, arranging home modifications and liaising with community staff.
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy The University of Liverpool July 1999
- Accredited Hand Therapist (British Association of Hand Therapists) September 2014
Continuing professional development, including:
- Attended conference, Dorset Orthopaedic. Strive for Better – Catastrophic Injury 14th June 2018
- Attended conference/training day, Independence Works Ltd – Record Keeping 1st February 2018
- Attended conference: PACE Rehabilitation, London, 26th September 2017
- Attended conference: Rehab Technology, 14th September 2017
- Attended study day: RCOT Specialist Section – Work – Bridging the Gap between Health and Work 15th May 2017
- Attended conference: Osseointegration, Fieldfisher, London 9th March 2017
- Attended conference: British Association of Hand Therapists with the British Society for Surgery of the Hand, Cardiff, 13-14 October 2016
- Attended conference: ‘Hidden in plain sight, exploring the often overlooked physiological, psychiatric and psychological deficits after brain injury’ London, 7th July 2016
- Attended: Understanding and Managing Mild TBI, Oliver Zangwill Centre Cambs. May 2016
- Organisation of and attendance at Independence Works training day, Pain Management Updates, January 2016
- Attendance at CMSUK Conference, November 2015
- Attendance at Pain Conference – “50 Shades of Pain”, London, 19th March 2015
- Delivery of Hand Therapy training day to Independence Works Ltd, 28th January 2015
Registrations and memberships:
- Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) OT 29981
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- British Association of Hand Therapists (BAHT)
- Case Management Society UK (CMSUK)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice (COTSS-IP)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work (COTSS-W)