BSc OT, MSc
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
An independent occupational therapist and case manager with over twenty five years of experience in rehabilitation. My current area of practice centres on assessment, rehabilitation and case management for clients following brain injury and complex traumatic injuries, including severe orthopaedic injury, hand injuries and amputation. In addition to adult cases I have experience working with adolescents, families and multi-party accidents. I have been working as an independent Case Manager for more than 9 years. My experience spans acute and community settings; working in both the statutory and private sectors. I am confident working within the insurance and medico-legal sectors for claimant, defence or under joint instruction and regularly undertake expert witness work regarding care and rehabilitation needs.
- Skilled in provision and co-ordination of early and longer term rehabilitation intervention as well as complex care, including 24 hour care packages.
- Provision and co-ordination of cognitive assessment and rehabilitation programs for brain injured clients including working with minimally aware clients.
- Skilled in liaising with and managing multidisciplinary teams.
- Experienced in assisting with specialist equipment, home and workplace modifications.
- Experienced in hand therapy including both musculoskeletal splinting and neurological splinting for the management of impaired muscle tone.
- Experienced in arranging provision of orthoses and prostheses.
- Skilled in liaising with employers and schools, undertaking and co-ordinating vocational rehabilitation where appropriate.
- Management of complex or chronic pain as well as associated mental health issues (such as PTSD and depression) has also been an essential need addressed with many clients.
- An advocate for early and proactive rehabilitation input, I developed a clinical triage service regarding personal injury claims, and have provided training workshops on rehabilitation and case management.
- I provide professional supervision for other occupational therapist case managers.
- Strong organisational and managerial skills gained before moving into independent practice, when I was Clinical Lead Occupational Therapist managing service provision over three hospital sites with over 100 staff.
- I have worked abroad in acute brain injury rehabilitation within the leading specialist Trauma Intensive Care Unit (funded by the Traffic Accident Commission) at The Alfred Hospital, at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia, and worked in partnership with the Ministry of Health in Zimbabwe developing rehabilitation services across hospital and primary care settings.
- I undertake expert witness work, specialising in medico-legal reports on care and rehabilitation needs following traumatic brain injury and complex injuries. I have worked on numerous high value claims and have experience in court as a witness under cross-examination and at CICA tribunal. In 2008 I completed a Bond Solon course in Courtroom Skills.
- Proven organisational and operational management skills
- Project Management and service redesign
- Excellent communication skills, from client to courtroom
- Strong use of initiative, problem solving and lateral thinking skills
- Financial management skills
2008 – present Occupational Therapist and Case Manager – independent practice
Provision of occupational therapy and case management services.
2006 – present Care and rehabilitation expert – independent practice
Preparation of medico-legal reports and associated expert witness work.
2000 – 2008 Peterborough and Stamford NHS Trust
Clinical Lead (Therapy Services); Clinical Manager (Therapy Services).
1997- 1999 Ministry of Health, Zimbabwe
Senior Occupational Therapist. Implementation of Community Based Rehabilitation program together with Australian Volunteers International.
1996 Alfred Hospital, Australia
Senior Occupational Therapist. Major trauma patients within the Trauma (Transport Accident Commission) and Intensive Care Units.
1994 – 1995 Angela Shaw Agency, United Kingdom
Occupational Therapy positions within the NHS, mainly in Neurological Rehabilitation, Orthopaedic Trauma and Hand Therapy.
1991 –1993 Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia
Rotational Occupational Therapy post through Neurology, Orthopaedics, Plastic Surgery (Hand Therapy), and Burns.
- MSc Public Health, University of London, 2006.
- BSc Occupational Therapy, La Trobe University, Australia, 1991.
Continuing professional development, including:
Continuous Professional Development is maintained through journal and research review, professional supervision, peer review, regular attendance at medico-legal, case management and professional conferences.
Registrations and memberships:
- The Health and Care Professions Council
- The British Association of Occupational Therapists
- The Case Management Society UK
- DBS checked