MLegSCi, BSc Hons (OT)
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I am an independent occupational therapist and case manager. I have eighteen years of clinical and managerial experience in delivering high quality rehabilitation. I have worked with clients of all ages from a diverse range of socio-economic, cultural and educational backgrounds, with a vast range of conditions. I am highly skilled at assessing functional capacity and at identifying and addressing the physical, psychological, social and environmental obstacles that impact upon an individual's health and well-being.
- Eighteen years of clinical experience assessing and treating clients with a variety of conditions including; musculoskeletal injuries and fractures, upper and lower limb amputations, neurological disorders including stroke and traumatic brain injury, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, chronic pain and mental health conditions.
- Experienced in designing and delivering person-centred rehabilitation aimed at return to work.
- Specialist knowledge and skills in enabling clients to return to maximum levels of independence in daily living activities following illness and injury.
- Extensive experience of specialised seating and wheelchair assessment and prescription, ergonomic and environmental assessment, modification and adaptation.
- A qualifying law degree at master's level - a thorough in-depth knowledge of legal process, the law relating to disability discrimination, equality and human rights, employment, evidence, contracts and the civil law of tort.
- Experienced at leading and managing large occupational therapy and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Advanced skills in communication, report writing, time management and prioritisation, motivation and mentoring.
- Adept at implementing quality measures including risk assessment, CPD programs, audit, research and training to support up to date evidence-based practice.
April 2017 - present
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager - Independence Works
- Independent occupational therapist and case manager focusing on rehabilitation for clients with complex physical and psychological injuries.
- I work closely with solicitors and insurance companies, and provide quality personal injury rehabilitation case management.
- I carry out comprehensive assessments with each client and work with them to identify their own individual rehabilitation goals.
- I work with them to address any environmental factors that may be limiting their independence.
- I refer to a range of statutory and private professionals for the appropriate interventions to advance the rehabilitation process.
- I formulate thorough and succinct rehabilitation reports, and also communicate informally with all parties on a regular basis.
August 2016 - July 2017
Independent Occupational Therapist and Assessment and Liaison Practitioner, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Coordination of rehabilitation aimed at restoring health, well-being and independence following illness and injury.
July 2009 - May 2016
Intermediate Care Coordinator and Senior Manager, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Rehabilitation and intermediate care service coordination and management. Leader of a rehabilitation team of over 25 physiotherapists, occupational therapists, rehabilitation assistants, nurses, care assistants and administration staff.
- Coordination of multidisciplinary assessments and treatment planning to deliver holistic rehabilitation that met person-centred goals.
April 2006 - July 2009
Senior Occupational Therapist, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- OT assessment and rehabilitation planning and delivery (in orthopaedics, general medicine and surgery), to facilitate early hospital discharge.
April 2004 - April 2006
Senior Occupational Therapist, Northern Ireland Regional Cancer Centre, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Lead in setting up an occupational therapy service for the oncology, haematology and haemophilia out-patient clinic within the Bridgewater Suite of the Northern Ireland Regional Cancer Centre, Belfast.
July 2002 - April 2004
Rotational Basic Grade Occupational Therapist, Belfast City Hospital, Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
- Occupational therapy assessment and treatment of patients within the areas of amputation and orthopaedics, general medicine and surgery, stroke, mental health, oncology, and brain injury.
- Wheelchair assessment, functional independence promotion and ambulation training post-amputation.
- Close liaison with the limb fitting service at the Regional Disability Service, Musgrave Park Hospital Belfast.
- Master's in Legal Science, Queen's University, Belfast, 2015
- BSc Honours in Occupational Therapy, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, 2002
Continuing professional development, including:
- IW panel training day: Rehabilitation Settings: 'Residential versus non-residential-the Pros and Cons', “A case study - Residential care for lower limb amputee", “Introducing Naked Prosthetics to the UK” - Best Western Manor, Meriden, 23/01/2020
- Dorset Orthopaedic Catastrophic Injury 'Strive for Better' Conference - Farnborough, Hampshire, June 2018
- Fatigue Management - OT Special Interest Group - Hands, Musgrave Park Hospital, April 2018
- Amputation Training Day (Amputation and co-existing medical problems including multiple limb loss), Clarke Wilmott - Bristol, March 2018
- GDPR 'An Overview'- Tracey Clarke, Virtual Administration - Birmingham, January 2018
- Best Practice in Record Keeping - Catherine Brown, Skilful Conversation - Birmingham, January 2018.
- Navigating the ‘mind-field’: Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Event, ABI Solutions, October 2017 (E-learning)
Information Commissioner’s Office Webinar, August 2107, ‘Data Protection & Information Security now & in the future – an introduction for small organisations in the healthcare sector’
- Zymplify Webinar, August 2017, ‘Get an insight into GDPR and how it could affect your business’
- Healthier Business UK Training, August 2017: COSHH, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, Fire Safety, Handling Violence, Aggression and Complaints, Health, Safety and Falls Prevention, Infection Control, Information Governance, Record Keeping, Caldicott Protocols, Lone Working, RIDDOR, SOVA and SOCA Level 3
- Supervision: Guidance on structure and best practice in supervision procedures and styles - Sally Feaver (Professor of Occupational Therapy) and Jenny Butler (Lecturer in Occupational Therapy), July 2017
Registrations and memberships:
- Health Professions Council (HCPC)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- Case Management Society UK
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Trauma and Orthopaedics