Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I have over 30 years' continuous experience working as an Occupational Therapist in a variety of settings, including hospital, community, insurance industry and vocational rehabilitation.
My clinical experience includes the treatment and rehabilitation of neurological and musculo-skeletal conditions. My involvement in vocational rehabilitation includes extensive experience in the assessment and rehabilitation of insurance disability claimants presenting with a wide range of disabilities.
My special interests include vocational rehabilitation, acquired brain injury, ergonomics and pain management.
Experience in the NHS includes working in a Senior 1 position with team management and service development responsibilities, whilst liasing closely with social services and statutory support services.
I have been self-employed as an independent Occupational Therapist offering rehabilitation services both in South Africa (5 years) and in the UK since March 2003. Independent work has included early needs assessment and treatment, vocational assessment and rehabilitation, graded return to work programmes and ergonomic advice.
Further clinical work has included assessment and direct intervention in the treatment of acquired brain injury, including the management of cognitive-behavioural deficits and neurologically affected upper limbs.
I undertake functional assessments and prepare reports in respect of clients with complex, long-term neurological conditions on behalf of insurers, whilst also advising on appropriate, client-focussed rehabilitation interventions in respect of these clients.
- Embedded assessment and observation skills in relation to the functional impact of disability.
- Knowledge and experience of treating a wide variety of medical conditions leading to impaired vocational functioning and activity participation.
- Experience in the assessment and provision of equipment and adaptations towards promoting independence and safety in the home and work environment.
- Using a client-centred, goal-orientated approach towards facilitating functional independence.
- Identification of need for referral to appropriate members of the multi-disciplinary team to support client progress towards achieving agreed functional goals.
- Education of the client towards promoting optimal self-management and autonomy in the management of their disability.
- Supervision of staff
- Service level monitoring and development
- Staff training and development
2003 – to date
Independent Occupational Therapist
Offering vocational rehabilitation and general rehabilitation services. Includes assessment of functional impact of disability and provision of return to work programmes, adaptations and equipment. Further services: Ergonomic assessment and advice, treatment of acquired brain injury.
2001 – 2003
Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge
Senior 1 in Neuro-Rehab, offering rehabilitation to neurological patients within hospital and community settings.
1999 – 2001
Momentum Risk Management Consultancy, Cape Town, South Africa
Rehabilitation Co-ordinator. Responsibilities included developing and monitoring treatment and return to work programmes in respect of claimants.
1998 – 1999
Leading Insurance Company
Disability Claims Assessor. Job included claims management and work assessment/rehabilitation.
1994 – 1998
Independent Occupational Therapist
Self-employed in private practice offering vocational rehabilitation, work assessments following injury or illness, medico-legal services, ABI rehabilitation and paediatrics.
Psychiatric AftercareHavens, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Occupational Therapist in Community Mental Health.
1991 – 1993
Universitas Hospital, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Senior Occupational Therapist in Adult Neurology and Surgery.
1988 – 1991
Pietermaritzburg School Psychological Clinic and Tswellang School for the Physically Disabled
Paediatric Occupational Therapist working in school and clinic settings offering treatment to children with learning and developmental problems.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (BOT), University of the Free State, South Africa (1987)
Registrations and memberships:
- The British Association of Occupational Therapists Registration (BAOT)
- The Case Management Society UK (CMSUK)
- The College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Neurological Practice
- Vocational Rehabilitation Association (VRA UK)
- DBS checked