Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I am an occupational therapist with over 20 years’ experience. I have worked in a variety of rehabilitation and hospital-based settings, as well as within the public, private and insurance sectors.
I qualified after completing a 4-year occupational therapy degree and have gained extensive rehabilitation, vocational rehabilitation and case management experience while employed in the United States, Britain and South Africa.
I specialise in the provision of case management, functional evaluation and vocational rehabilitation services. Areas of special interest include conducting functional capacity evaluations, workplace assessments, job demands analysis and ergonomic assessments.
- Clinical experience as an occupational therapist within hospital and rehabilitation settings including general hospital, stroke units, inpatient rehabilitation facilities and outpatient clinics.
- Knowledgeable in evaluating and treating clients with medical, neurological, rheumatological and orthopaedic conditions including upper limb and hand conditions.
- Multidisciplinary team approach working with allied health professionals and medical practitioners.
- Experienced case manager assisting clients with their rehabilitation and vocational needs.
- Disability claim management process knowledge having being employed as a disability claims consultant.
- Skilled functional capacity evaluator assessing clients’ functional and work-related capabilities and their ability to perform their own or other occupations. I am experienced in evaluating clients with occupations ranging from those of a lighter physical demand, including solicitor and dentist, to those of heavier physical demand including labourer, machine operator and engineer.
- Experienced in conducting workplace evaluations, job demands analysis and ergonomic assessments and advising on reasonable adjustments, equipment needs and redeployment options. I have conducted evaluations within a range of work settings including a nuclear power station, veterinary practice, law firm, banks and accountancy practice.
- Experienced in developing, implementing, monitoring and graduating structured and goal orientated return to work programmes.
- Knowledgeable in liaising and negotiating with employers in order to explore redeployment options, facilitate reasonable work place adjustments and assist employees to return to work.
2003 – present (full time independent practice since Feb 2006) Independent Practice – Consultant Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
2003 – 2006
Munich Re-Insurance Company (service transferred to First Assist Rehabilitation Services in June 2005) Occupational Therapist and Case Manager - case management service delivery, facilitating rehabilitation and assisting clients to return to work.
2002 – 2003
Stroke Unit, Kingston Primary Health Care Trust, Tolworth, Surrey and Unsted Park Hospital (Priory Rehabilitation Services), Godalming, Surrey (a private rehabilitation hospital)
Senior Occupational Therapist Locum - occupational therapy assessment and treatment provision within in-patient stroke rehabilitation units.
2001 – 2002
North Bay Rehabilitation Services, Fairfield, California, U.S.A.
Occupational Therapist Locum - in-patient and out-patient rehabilitation and treatment of orthopaedic and neurological conditions. Out-patient treatment included treatment of upper limb and hand conditions within the hand clinic, including post-surgical patients.
1997 – 2001
The Soma Initiative, Cape Town, South Africa (an independent company specialising in the evaluation and management of disability claims)
Occupational Therapist and Disability Claims Consultant - objective assessment of a client’s level of impairment and impact on their function and work-related abilities. Services included functional capacity evaluations, workplace visits, advice to employers and clients on reasonable adjustments and re-deployment options during the case management process.
Charing Cross Hospital, Hammersmith, London
Occupational Therapist Locum - occupational therapy service provision within the Accident and Emergency and General Medicine Departments including the assessment of patients once medically stable to determine their functional abilities for safe and appropriate discharge or admission to hospital. Conducting home visits to facilitate safe home discharges.
Sundance Rehabilitation Corporation, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Occupational Therapist Locum - assessment and treatment of patients with orthopaedic and neurological conditions in various rehabilitation and long-term care facilities throughout the Boston area (therapy focused on physical rehabilitation although many patients had additional psychiatric diagnoses). Supervising certified occupational therapy assistants within various facilities.
1994 – 1996
HealthSouth Treasure Coast Rehabilitation Hospital and HealthSouth Outpatient Clinic, Florida, U.S.A.
Occupational Therapist – developing and implementing treatment programs for various orthopaedic, rheumatological, neurological and medical conditions within a 75-bed rehabilitation hospital and out-patient clinic. Participating in multidisciplinary team conferences and presenting family stroke and patient stroke education groups. Conducting home evaluations and goal setting for clients prior to therapeutic leave passes and community reintegration outings. Representing the Occupational Therapy Department in the development and implementation of the joint replacement program in a managed care environment.
- BSc Occupational Therapy, University of Cape Town
Registrations and memberships:
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Association of Occupational Therapists
- United States National Board Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice
- Royal College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work
- Case Management Society UK