Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
Since qualifying as an Occupational Therapist over 25 years ago, I have worked in a variety of clinical settings as well as working within public, private and insurance organisations both in the UK and abroad.
I have extensive experience in rehabilitation and vocational case management of a variety of conditions including multiple orthopaedic injuries, upper and lower limb amputees, hand injury, acquired brain injury and brachial plexus injury. I have worked with clients from a wide variety of vocational backgrounds from manual work to professional work.
- Experienced case manager assisting clients with their rehabilitation and vocational needs, as well as liaising with claims handlers and solicitors as part of the case management process.
- Experienced in developing, implementing, monitoring and graduating structured and goal orientated return to work programmes.
- Excellent clinical knowledge experience in working with a variety of conditions including multiple orthopaedic injuries, upper and lower limb amputees, hand injury, acquired brain injury, back injury and brachial plexus injury. Limited paediatric experience.
- Experience in detailed assessment of work place and employee role to provide information on injury prevention and management or alternative duties for employer and employee to assist the individual back to their original or an alternative role as appropriate.
- Experience in a variety of vocational settings, including heavy and light industry and manual, semi skilled, skilled and professional backgrounds.
- Close work, liaison and coordination of care from other involved parties including treating specialists, health care professionals, psychologists and with statutory and voluntary services.
- Concise reporting of assessments and interventions reports for client intervention to enable timely case progression.
- Working as part of a multidisciplinary team and as a sole practitioner.
- Presentation at conferences at both regional and national levels.
- Supervision of junior staff within clinical setting.
- Assistance with development of set procedures and procedures.
- Clinical supervision of Occupational Therapy Students within clinical setting.
- Continued participation in peer reviews with my colleagues in Independence Works and offer also clinical supervision. I also have ongoing clinical supervision from a senior member of our group.
2007 – Present
Independent Occupational Therapist
Coordination of rehabilitation, and return to work programs for clients with a variety of conditions acquired following illness or injury. Work also included assessment and provision of equipment in both the home and workplace to maximise levels of independence.
July 2001 – March 2012
Rehabilitation Case Manager
Initially working for Munich Re-Insurance Company (service transferred to First Assist in June 2005 and then to Capita in 2010). Provision of medical and vocational rehabilitation programs following injury or disability via a case management model. Undertaking a variety of assessments including face to face, telephonic and file reviews to plan timely and appropriate rehabilitation goals, to maximise levels of recovery and independence and promote timely return to work. Working within the rehabilitation code of best practice.
January – December 2001
Consignia - Senior Occupational Therapist
Set up Occupational Therapy service for South East England for one of Britain’s largest employers. Achievements included the development, co-ordination and delivery of assessment and rehabilitation services. Work included worksite assessments, ergonomic advice, formulating return to work programs and advice to managers on work practices and work place adaptations.
1995 - 2001
Camden and Islington Community NHS Trust
Senior Occupational Therapist
Community based rehabilitation and assessment provision to people with palliative care and chronic pain needs, including recommendations for equipment and home adaptations. Working for specialist team awarded with NHS Beacon status. Working in hospital and community setting with people with HIV/AIDS including disease-related neurological complications. Supervision and lecturing of students. Development of quality procedures and standards. Liaison marketing and educational services to community services and medical professionals. Input to various research projects within the team and local community. Assisted with development of database for statistical analysis.
1994 – 1995
Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service (Australia)
Community based vocational rehabilitation to people with a wide range of disabilities including physical, psychological and acquired brain injuries. Provision of vocational rehabilitation services including functional capacity evaluation and work site assessments, under Workers Compensation, Compulsory Third Party and Governmental Schemes. Experience in a variety of occupational settings, including heavy and light industry, assisting the injured worker to return to full employment and advising employers on adaptations to the work place. Input into team development.
April – July 1994
Wairou Hospital (NZ)
Locum Occupational Therapist
Working with patients with disease related, congenital or traumatic hand injuries. Set up assessment procedures and educated staff on the use of these tools, correct techniques and rehabilitation principles. Worked with patients under accident compensation scheme.
January – June 1993
Whittington Hospital, London
Senior Occupational Therapist
Assessment of physical, perceptual and cognitive defects and rehabilitation of with adult with acquired brain injury and neurological diseases. Also specialised in hand injuries and was in charge of hand therapy service. Supervision of staff and students.
1991 - 1993
St Thomas’ Hospital, London
Rotational post to gain basic experience in a variety of clinical settings including neurology, orthopaedics, hand injuries, burns and amputees and working with both adults and children.
- University College of Ripon and York, St John 1987 – 1990 Diploma from College of Occupational Therapists
Continuing professional development, including:
- Understanding The Workplace, Employment Law for Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist (2016)
- Matheson Functional Capacity Evaluation refresher (2015)
- Vestibular Rehabilitation (2014)
- Ongoing peer review of caseload
- Effective Disability Management- Module A (National Institute of Disability Management and Research), KMG Health Partners Training 27.01.2010
- Transferable skills analysis training, KMG Health Partners Training 22.10.2008 & 23.10.2008 (12 hours)
- Vocational rehabilitation training, KMG Health Partners Training 17.09.2008 & 18.09.2008 (15 hours)
- Job Analysis (2007)
- Ability Net training (2004)
- Matheson Functional Capacity Evaluation training (2003)
- Display Screen Equipment for Assessors (2001)
- Working with clients with Drug and Alcohol problems (1999 – 2000)
- Assessment and Treatment of patients with Perceptual and Cognitive Dysfunction (1999)
- Counselling and communication skills (1996)
- Worksite Assessment (1994)
- Functional capacity evaluation (1994)
- Clinical Supervision (1992)
Registrations and memberships:
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- The British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- The Case Management Society UK (CMSUK)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work