BSc (Hons) OT
Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
I am an independent Occupational Therapist (OT) and case manager and I qualified in 1996. I specialise in vocational rehabilitation, case management and complex neurological rehabilitation; this includes home and workplace assessments, identification and co-ordination of multi-disciplinary rehabilitation, OT treatment and provision of adaptive equipment.
I provide OT assessment, treatment and case management to clients of all ages, including children ,with a wide variety of physical and psychological injuries including multiple fractures, amputations and head and spinal injuries. I use a holistic approach within my OT intervention to consider client needs within a bio-psycho-social framework. I endeavor to use evidence-based best practice, in a cost-effective and timely way.
Assessment and clinical OT treatment for adult clients with wide-ranging physical and psychological conditions. Experience of vocational rehabilitation both as an independent practitioner and within health and social care settings.
- Experienced in working with clients with head injuries, orthopaedic injuries, amputations, back and other spinal injuries (including multiple fractures and neurological impairments)and upper/lower limb injuries.
- Clients have been from a variety of vocational backgrounds, including professional, skilled, semi-skilled and manual work and have included both employed and self-employed people.
- Provision and co-ordination of physical rehabilitation, pain management strategies and psychological support.
- Sourcing and arranging retraining and work placements.
- Use of assistive technology in the home and workplace.
- Specialist expertise in neurological rehabilitation including head injuries and other acquired neurological conditions, and progressive neurological conditions. Provision of cognitive rehabilitation.
- Wide experience of treating patients with complex social and psychiatric histories, and of varied educational attainment. Experience of working with patients from varied ethnic/cultural backgrounds, including those with limited English.
- Close liaison work with other involved healthcare professionals including consultant surgeons and physicians, general medical practitioners, allied health professionals, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists and disability employment advisers.
- Previous Deputy Head OT of District General Hospital and Acting Head OT for 32 OT staff.
- Managed and prepared business plans and budgets for OT department. Managed resource/service mix during cost improvement programmes. Planned and managed service improvements.
- Managed team of 15 senior OT staff within OT Department, including recruitment, motivation, team-building, mentoring/coaching, appraisal, case allocation, in-service training and staff development.
- Worked with internal and external agencies to promote “best practice” in stroke unit.
Member of Independence Works - a network of Independent Occupational Therapists.
2005 – present
Occupational Therapist in Independent Practice (self-employed)
Independent occupational therapist specialising in vocational rehabilitation and case management for clients with complex, wide- ranging physical conditions. Work with a variety of customers - Insurers, Solicitors, Employers, private clients, charities.
October 2005 – January 2007
Rehabilitation Cost Consultant, (Self – Employed)
Jacqueline Webb and Co, Salisbury alongside NHS employment.
1996 – 2008
Queen’s Hospital, Burton on Trent
General District Hospital in Staffordshire. Variety of posts held including:
- Advanced Practioner OT - Community Resettlement and Reablement Team August 2007 – August 2008. Management of complex and varied caseload, including neurological conditions, brain injury, limb amputations, general medical and surgical conditions, orthopaedic conditions and mental health problems.
- Project Manager – stroke services (2007). Secondment to benchmark service delivery in line with the best practice guidelines.
- Acting Head Occupational Therapist (maternity leave cover) (2006-2007) – all service areas (including Medicine and Surgery, Elderly Care, Trauma and Orthopaedics, Hand Injuries, Palliative Care, Stroke and Neurological rehabilitation, Rapid Response to A & E and Community Resettlement)
- Deputy Head (3) Occupational Therapist (2005-2006) – all service areas (including Medicine and Surgery, Elderly Care, Trauma and Orthopaedics, Hand Injuries, Palliative Care, Stroke and Neurological rehabilitation, Rapid Response to A & E and Community Resettlement).
- Senior 1 Occupational Therapist (2001-2005), Neurology, Medicine and Surgery in and out-patients.
- Senior 2 Occupational Therapist (1998-2001), Neurology Out-Patients, including work resettlement.
- Basic Grade Occupational Therapist (1996-1998), (6 month Physical Rotation) Rotation included Trauma and Orthopaedics, Medicine, Neurology and Surgery and Elderly Care.
City General Hospital, Stoke on Trent, Basic Grade Occupational Therapist, (Physical Rotation)
- UK Functional Capacity Evaluation (Obair and Matheson) 2011
- Post-Registration Developments in the Occupational Therapy Management of Neurological Conditions, University College Northampton (May 1999-April 2000)
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy St. Andrew’s School of Occupational Therapy, Nene College, Northampton (1996)
Continuing professional development, including:
- SOM Annual conference 2019
- SOM - Neuropdiversity in the Workplace study session
- VRA/SOM/RCOTSS Work study Day - Good work for good health
- SOM Annual Conference 2018
- Member of national executive committee RCOTSS-Work since 2018
- CMSUK Study day - 2014 - Maximising the statutory funding pot"
- CMSUK study days - 2013 - "Who Owns Case Management" and "Benefit and Welfare Reform Updates".
- Regular peer review of vocational rehabilitation work with Independence Works members
- National Brain Injury Conference 2013
- Head Injury study day – vestibular problems 2013
- Use of Ultrasound in fracture healing - 2012
- First Aid At work – 2012
- Work Matters on-line course (BOAT course) - 2012
- Regional special interest group training day - 2011
- Vocational Rehabilitation and the Model of Human Occupation (May 2008)
- Moving and handling – Trainer accreditation (March 2008)
- Training (5 days) for medico-legal consultancy work with Jacqueline Webb and Co (2005 – 2006)
- Accredited Risk Assessor (March 2005) Burton Hospitals NHS Trust
- Clinical Responsibility (February 2005) Bond Solon
- Leadership at the Point of Care (June 2004) Modernisation Agency Leadership Centre
- Health Care Records on Trial (July 2000) Bond Solon
Registrations and memberships:
- The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- The British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Independent Practice
- College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section – Work
- Vocational Rehabilitation Association