Independent Occupational Therapist and Case Manager
An HCPC registered occupational therapist with more than 26 years’ experience working in a variety of clinical settings: as an independent practitioner, in the NHS, community and private practice. I utilise my skills and knowledge within my role as a rehabilitation case manager, as well as continuing an active clinical hand therapy role.
During my career I have gained experience working both with children and adults. I have worked within trauma and orthopaedics; burns and plastics, oncology, HIV/AIDS and specialist centres treating clients with head injuries or clients who have acquired neurological conditions. In addition, I have extensive experience treating clients with upper limb injuries/conditions, peripheral nerve injuries and rheumatological conditions. I have provided detailed assessments, rehabilitation and adaptive equipment including wheelchair provision. I have also worked closely with other authorities/individuals to facilitate the provision of appropriate housing adaptations.
- Proficient at overseeing the rehabilitation of clients, referring to and liaising with all professional groups in the MDT to maximise outcome. I work with clients of all ages with a wide variety of conditions, where needs are often complex and require great attention to detail.
- I work with clients within clinical settings, their homes and their work environments, collaborating with their families and employers to provide individualised rehabilitation programmes designed to maximise their independence and return to function.
- Highly experienced in hand therapy including splinting, wound care, oedema management, scar management, nerve re-education/desensitisation and exercise prescription.
- Skilled at providing tailored and graded rehabilitation programmes including condition related education, pain management, activities of daily living assessment and interventions to facilitate independence at home and at work.
- Skilled in vocational assessment and rehabilitation, providing advice and education for both client and employer/school when planning return to vocational activities.
- Adept at identifying and supporting clients needing psychological support following trauma through arranging bespoke treatment packages with appropriately skilled professionals.
- Identification of appropriate adaptive equipment to facilitate independence both at home and at work.
- Advanced/extended scope practice skills include acupuncture and Kinesio taping as well as some physiotherapy mobilisation techniques.
- Managing and running the service including supervision and appraisal of staff, monitoring activity levels and procurement
- Highly experienced educator both providing training to colleagues, lecturing externally and delivering hand therapy education nationally, as a member of the Education Sub Committee of the British Association of Hand Therapists.
- I have actively been involved in audit, research and co-written an Oxford University Press book on hand surgery/therapy.
Sept 2016 – to present
NHS Professionals Bank Hand Therapist
Providing hand therapy for orthopaedic surgeons, as required.
Sept 2015 – to present
Independent OT and Case Manager: Independence Works
Assessing and supporting clients following an accident, providing advice, equipment and referring to specialist providers for rehabilitation focusing on the clients return to work.
Sept 2015 – to present
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, BMI Healthcare, The Ridgeway Swindon
Development of a new hand service, working alongside an orthopaedic consultant. Promotion of service and providing a specialist hand therapy service.
May 2015 – to present
Independent OT/Case Manager: Obair Associates
Provision of detailed occupational therapy assessment to identify individual client needs to facilitate functional independence and a return to normal daily activities, including work.
May 2014 - to present
Kinesio UK Hand Therapy Trainer
Teaching hand therapists about the clinical use and application of Kinesio taping.
Jan 2011 – August 2015
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, BMI, Sarum Road Hospital, Winchester
Working for four hand consultants providing highly specialised treatment for patients with upper limb conditions and following complex injuries/surgery. Responsible for service development, supervision, in-service education, monitoring and ordering of stock.
June 2012 - June 2013
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, BMI Birmingham
Development of a new hand service in Birmingham. To liaise with other members of the team to market the hand service, provide a highly specialised service and be responsible for supervision of staff, teaching, stock control and ordering.
Jan 2012 - July 2012
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, Southern Health
Triaging and assessing patients with upper limb conditions/injuries. Diagnosis, ordering and interpreting x-rays and scans. Referral to consultant to list for surgery/opinion and therapy.
April 2008 - May 2012
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, RHCH, Winchester
Clinical lead for hand therapy and rheumatology. Working alongside consultants in clinic to assess, diagnose and list for surgery. Responsible for the delivery of a highly specialised hand service for patients in the Winchester area. Supervision and training of staff. Stock control/ordering, audit and data collection.
Oct 1999 - Sept 2008
Clinical Specialist Hand Therapist, Southampton University Hospitals
Clinical lead for OT hand service. Working alongside consultants in clinic to assess, diagnose and list for surgery.
July 1998 - Sept 1999
Senior OT, Andover Social Services
Assessing and working with family and children with physical and cognitive needs. Providing adaptive equipment and making recommendations for housing adaptations.
May 1995 - April 1998
Senior I OT, Mount Vernon Hospital
Responsible for the delivery of a hand therapy service including training of staff and students.
Jan – April 1995 (short term contract)
Ealing Social Services
Assessment of adults requiring adaptive equipment and housing adaptations.
Nov 1994 - Jan 1995 (short term contract)
Senior I OT, West London Healthcare NHS Trust
Palliative care. Assessing patients both at home and in the NHS for adaptive equipment/medical supplies and minor urgent housing adaptations.
July – Nov 1994
Senior I OT, St Charles Hospital, London
Working in elderly care to facilitate safe return to patients’ homes.
March 1993 – June 1994
Senior I and Head III OT, Central Middlesex Hospital, London
Responsible for orthopaedics, out patients (hands and rheumatology) and elderly care.
Oct 1991 – March 1993
Senior I OT, Whipps Cross Hospital, London
Responsible for orthopaedics, including splinting and fracture bracing.
Sep - Oct 1991
Locum: Northern General Hospital, Sheffield
Burns and plastics – making pressure garments.
Locum: Medway Hospital, Kent
Orthopaedics: seeing and assessing patients in the hospital and home environment.
Apr - May 1991
Senior II OT, Unsted Park Rehabilitation centre, Surrey
Private hospital treating patients with acquired head injury, post CVA, back injuries, orthopaedic and rheumatological problems.
Sept - Dec 1990
Postgraduate Exchange to Westmead Hospital Sydney, Australia
Burns and plastic surgery (hands).
June - March 1991
Basic Grade rotation OT, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge
Covering: elderly care, hand injuries, rheumatology, orthopaedics and rehabilitation unit (CVA/acquired head injury).
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy (1988)
- Diploma in Hand Therapy (2007)
Continuing professional development, including:
February Hawk grip training
May Dorset Orthopaedic Total Rehabilitation Conference
January IW study day (pain management)
March BMI study day (fascial release)
May Acupuncture update (dry needling)
November OT Show
Registrations and memberships:
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT)
- British Association of Hand Therapists (BAHT)
- RCOT SS Work